Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Weber

The Weber
Everybody has a happy place. That place that you think of when you were in 7th grade health class and they had you do meditation. For some it is the sunny beaches of the Bahamas, and for others the life filled streets of NYC. Others imagine reeling in the 45 lb King Salmon in Alaska or exploring the Amazon. I have done all of these, and yes they all have their individual pleasures none of them compare to the peaceful consistent beauty of the Family Cabin on the Weber River.

The Cannons have been going up to this area for over 100 years. From the early days as the summer grazing fields of my great grandpa John M Cannon’s livestock to today little has changed in this valley.
As a kid we would spend almost two weeks of our summers up at the Weber Cabin with my aunts and uncles and cousins. Those were some very happy times.....Listening to Uncle Paul sing, Uncle Dee's Blueberry Pancakes, playing Rook with Grandpa, hiking with Uncle Joel, talking for hours with Aunt Doralee, Grandma's fudge, listening to Uncle Kim tell stories, looking at Aunt Colleen's fabulous photography, walks with Uncle Val and even the occasional quick visit of Uncle Mike......these were the best of times. As the family grew bigger and bigger the three bedroom one bathroom cabin groaned under the sheer number of people that we tried to cram into it. The decision was made to move to the next generation, so instead of me going up as a nephew and a cousin, I am now the uncle and brother. I am not going to lie I miss seeing my cousins and aunts and uncles. The cabin is not so much the pine wood panels or the non OSHEA approved windows that fall down into the walls that make it the cabin, it is the people and the knowledge that you are stuck with these people in a tiny remote cabin with only one toilet that make the cabin the cabin.
Ok now that we have all that sentimental crap behind us let’s see some pictures of this year’s cabin trip.
Let’s start with some of Cass’s flower shots.




We hiked up to the Medow one of my favorite hikes
We Made it!
The kids made it so we rewarded them with candy.....maybe a little to much for Spencer (far left)
Yay! My Brother Neil made it too!
Looking down the Cliffs
Great View
No trip to the Cabin is complete without a campfire dinner.

(No caption needed here)
More Hiking
Anybody recognize this tree? It is in a movie
Guess who the favorite Aunt is.....Cassie!
Throwing rocks NEVER gets old.

An action shot of the work project. New stone path leading to the cabin
Cass getting a drink out of the spring, so cold and so clean it is totally worth the hike.

Well I started out this post talking about how I missed having the older generation up at the cabin and I want to end this post by saying how glad I am that along with the shift in generations I have picked up another title, not just uncle or brother but husband. This is Cassandra’s second year up at the cabin but first as a fully fledged Cannon. There is nothing like sharing your favorite place in the whole world with your favorite person in the whole world. This picture sums up our time at the cabin perfectly, thumbs up and relaxing TOGETHER.

4 comments:

  1. Cassie, nice flower pics. There's no place on earth that grows such pure white columbine as the Weber. (and BTW your scored big points with the MIL during the cabin visit. way to go!)
    Thanks for posting these Uncle Steven! Reminded me that I need to make the sacrifice to get my branch of the family tree up there more often. OXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. It a spectacularly millenial experience up on the Weber. Time seems to slow, stop and lose importance when we are all together and the harmony of His creations mix. Wonderful! I was thinking about how we are building the memories for our little ones right now. Sitting in the bedroom with Steven and Tessa playing the guitars while we sang to them was a beautiful moment for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the pictures, I am really starting to enjoy this blog of yours! It was awesome to have you both up there. I was inspired by you both, I love your zeal for life Steven. Thanks for making so many great memories with my kids. They all adore you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I misread that "Aero" shirt and "Nerd," and I thought "How appropriate. Where can I get this shirt?" I suppose I will have to make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete